Another term begins

1960 Temple Meads Station

I will never forget drawing in to Bristol Temple Meads on the first day of the first holidays (or should that be I have never forgotten? I guess what is remembered at 59 has effectively been remembered for life already). I remember the excitement of approaching the station through the still bomb damaged wastelands that surrounded Brunel’s magnificent edifice. Remember?  I can feel it now as I write. Coming home. Never felt it about anywhere in adult life. Not like that.

There is the screech of iron on iron and the explosive hiss of escaping steam sending up its curling billows to lie trapped in the high vaults of the distant station roof dome. The banging as numerous doors fly open and my mum is there to greet me. After three months apart did we hug with the kind of intensity I must have felt the occasion demanded? Probably not. As a child I loved my mum and I certainly missed her but we didn’t do the touchy-feely stuff. Compte rendu of the repressed nature of that generation even – born in the starch of Edwardian England and the shadow of two monstrous global conflicts – she was still in a class of her own in terms of sublimating emotion and pain.

“Stiff upper lip”, “Minding you own business”, “Not washing your dirty linen in public” and “getting on with it” were the watchwords, the sacred tenets by which life must be lived. The “Queen of People’s Hearts” and Charlatan Blair’s “People’s Princess” were an unbridgeable distance away. Some Grumpy Old Man part of me says Thank God, although I am glad we are all more at ease with the language of affection.

Enough. Home. Christmas. It all passed in a splendid whirl of warm familiarity and relaxed routine: playing out, lounging in, oppressing younger brother, irritating older sister. What larks! The Damoclean Sword of a new term was reduced to the smallest discordant note in the furthermost reaches of consciousness. But the passing of Christmas was a watershed and with the urgency of a fault building in a dam, the daily dissonance quickly became impossible to ignore and then the unthinkable thought began to dominate each passing day. The Return.

I grew to recognise this syndrome every holiday. Initially a perfect peace and then an ever growing shadow that blighted the last few days of the holiday and led to a last day spent mentally saying goodbye to everything: last time I will watch TV, feed the cat, see my friend, eat home breakfast, lunch etc..

Then to bed but not to sleep until I drop off in the wee small hours to be awakened by my mother telling me I must get up now or I would miss the train. She must have dreaded waking me. My reluctance could hardly have been a secret, although I do not remember ever talking about it.

This morning, however, I wasn’t having it. I pulled the bedclothes over me and refused to surface. My mother’s pleas, imprecations and finally threats to get Uncle Fred around failed to move me. Then her masterstroke: “What if I come with you? We’ll take the train together and I will come back to school with you.” Bedclothes twitch. Calculation. “All the way? Right to school?”

Her voice betrays her relief. “Yes, of course. All the way.”

The price is agreed and I have discovered I am a lousy negotiator. With me leading for management the Chapels of Fleet Street would still be full of hot lead and typesetters, winding machinery would clank across a thousand pitheads and we would all be driving Austin Allegros.

My attempt at defiance was over.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Another term begins

  1. Pingback: 32 The Rhythm of Term | An Englishman in Turkey

  2. With your obvious talent for writing, it’s a shame you have not joined the Association (OMA!) and offered articles for the OMA Gazette. Perhaps you’ll think about it?
    The subscription is a mere £20 pa and in return you receive a 160-page magazine. the Gazette has gone through a transformation in the past three years and could be even better, if we were to include items penned by yourself.
    Kind regards
    Stephen (OMA Gazette Editor)
    Connaught 1961

  3. Richard Clarke says:

    My first return to the gulag after Christmas was January 1963. It was the year of the great freeze when the snow first started on Boxing Day and just continued, making movement around very difficult. My hopes of being stranded at home for a long time were dashed when there was a minor respite in the snow falling which gave an unfortunate window of opportunity to get back to school on time, only for the snow to return and remain until late March heading into April.
    I have never forgiven the weather for allowing that to happen, all because someone or thing did not appreciate my plight.
    During the prolonged freeze we managed to make the most of the weather situation. Up in the attic area of H house a large sledge was found ( I believe was an Arctic sledge donated by some explorer) which could cope with a large number of kids piled on it while sliding down ‘Abraham’s heights’ near the northern periphery of the running track.

  4. Trevor Bond says:

    It seems strange , but I remember a huge sled , but I don’t remember whether it was at the Junior or the senior school

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *